Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fasting





Ah---Fasting..... I do not know about you but I loovvvvvvvvvvve to eat. So, the concept of fasting was a little difficult for me at first, until i did some researching, I found the real reason for fasting, which made it a lot easier to do. 

What is fasting?
It is another means by which we can "suffer" for the Lord, through voluntary abstinence from eating. The purpose of the fast is to bring "spiritual results", and NOT for physical purposes. Fasting is one of the keys needed to unlocking and inheriting the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 4: 1-4 (NIV)
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

Reasons for Fasting
  1. We receive spiritual cleansing and as a result our spiritual eyes are opened.
  2. We can obtain victory of the Devil by breaking bonds of wickedness (Read Isaiah 58:6) 
  3. Fasting helps build our faith.  
  4. When we fast, it makes it easier for us to hear the voice of God.   
When we fast we our afflicting our soul and saying to our flesh, "flesh you are wanting to eat, but God is stronger than the desires of my soul. My spirit shall rule my soul and my soul shall not have dominion over me." God wants us to be ruled by the spirit and not by the flesh. By fasting, we bring the flesh into subjection of the spirit. (Read Matthew 4:4)

We should not eat out of habit or tradition, but rather that we might eat to glorify Christ in our bodies:
"Whether therefore ye eat , or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." (Read 1 Cor. 10:31


Therefore, the purpose of fasting is bring our flesh into subjection of the will of God by strengthen our spirit by feeding him God's word. I fast for various reasons. Mainly to break strongholds and to strengthen my relationship with God. In addition to fasting, I will not only inflict pain on my tummy :) but on my mind as well. For example, I may abstain from doing activities I really enjoy doing such as watching tv, exercising, texting, checking emails, etc., so that I am not distracted from feeding my Spirit the word of God. When determining how long I should fast, I always pray to God and he gives me an answer. He will give you an exact schedule on when, how, and how long you should fast. Just pray and he will answer you as always if you are earnestly seeking him.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.